To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] New release - The Q9 Action game!

To clarify my last post with the suggestion, I think level editor was
perhaps the wrong choice of phrase, it really does sway more toward a
mod maker that I'm imagining.  Whatever sound or story you care to put
to it in your mod, it'll still retain the classic arcade style because
of the UI and navigation surely.

Agreed. In all respects Q9 is a classic 80's type side-scroller similar
to Donkey Kong and some of the later Pitfall games. Things like level
editors etc need not apply here. This is exactly one of the aspects
where I ran into problems with Mysteries of the Ancients.
I started out writing a traditional side-scroller along the lines of
Montezuma's Revenge,and I was bombarded with requests for level editors,
save game features, random monsters, random items, etc. After a while as
I added features and updates the game ceased to be what I initially had
planned to create in the first place. In the end I've been very
disappointed in the product while others constantly say how much they
enjoy it. Kind of a paradox disliking the very game others like.
However, that situation was caused by trying to please everyone else
except myself. I don't want to see Philip make this mistake as well.
Anyway, in my personal opinion adding level editors and such to Q9 would
ruin the classic arcade game feel. The reason I like this game so well
is it reminds me of the type of games I played in my younger years. Sure
it has some modern aspects like random items, random monsters, etc but
that enhances rather than detracts from the game. The game is very
adictive and has a high amount of replay value for me right now. That's
all that counts in my opinion.

dark wrote:
while more traps would be nice if possible, ---- maybe themed traps
for the levels, I seriously don't see what good an editer would do in
a game where everything is randomized, sinse I assume the principle
differences betwene the levels are the types and frequency rates of
enemies, pits and items, ---- and their length.

I don't see how playing with these factors in an editer would really
do anything more than the current game is doing already.

Beware the grue!