From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota crashes unexpectedly

Hi Scott and all,
Yeah, I've pretty much tracked down the causes of these crashes, but
there really isn't an easy solution to the problem. The solution will
require quite a bit of research and programming to solve.
First, we have Managed DirectX. At the time I began using it I was not
aware it had several bugs that Microsoft for whatever reason has decided
not to fix. Rather than fix it they simply discontinued development on
it, and told everyone to use the newer XNA Framework instead. Leaving
developers like me in the cold.
There are alternatives out there such as the open source SlimDX API,
SDLDotNet, Microsoft's XNA Framework, as well as something like FMOD. I
certainly could research and convert the Genesis Engine over to one of
these other APIs, but I am afraid there are quite a few people, shall we
say, that are too impatient for me to take the time necessary to do so
without flooding my in box with requests.
I've also been taking some time here and there to convert my .NET code
over to traditional C++, and have been working towards a cross-platform
Genesis Engine that will run on Mac, Linux, as well as Windows. I could
step up production on that, but again we are talking some serious time
before the engine would be stable enough to release another beta of MOTA.
Second, in order to interrupt speech and so on I've had to split the
game up into separate processes or threads that run concurrently.
Normally this would be a very good thing, but DirectX thinks otherwise.
A lot of times it tries to load a speech file or a death sound on the
fly and comes up with an error that some file can not be found. That is
total non-sense as it worked x number of times before, but that one time
DirectX can't find and load the file for whatever reason. By taking out
some of these threads the game seams to crash less often, but by no
means fixes DirectX's tendency to not load this or that file or give
some screwy argument exception error that is total bologna. So it is
clear Managed DirectX has to go, but we are talking a major upgrade is
in order to fix the problem.
I guess the only question does anyone have any complaints about me
taking however long it takes to fix this problem by rewriting the audio
and input cores. I know I've gotten a few e-mails of late that said I'm
taking too long on the game already, and I'm sure such people won't
leave me alone until 1.0 is released with bugs and all. I'm not very
familiar with SlimDX or the other alternatives out there so I'm not sure
how long this will put me behind by taking out Managed DirectX and
switching over to something else. So if people are willing to wait I
could upgrade the engine to fix this error.

*Smile*