Hi Scott and all,
Yeah, I've pretty much tracked down the causes of these crashes, but there really isn't an easy solution to the problem. The solution will require quite a bit of research and programming to solve. First, we have Managed DirectX. At the time I began using it I was not aware it had several bugs that Microsoft for whatever reason has decided not to fix. Rather than fix it they simply discontinued development on it, and told everyone to use the newer XNA Framework instead. Leaving developers like me in the cold. There are alternatives out there such as the open source SlimDX API, SDLDotNet, Microsoft's XNA Framework, as well as something like FMOD. I certainly could research and convert the Genesis Engine over to one of these other APIs, but I am afraid there are quite a few people, shall we say, that are too impatient for me to take the time necessary to do so without flooding my in box with requests. I've also been taking some time here and there to convert my .NET code over to traditional C++, and have been working towards a cross-platform Genesis Engine that will run on Mac, Linux, as well as Windows. I could step up production on that, but again we are talking some serious time before the engine would be stable enough to release another beta of MOTA. Second, in order to interrupt speech and so on I've had to split the game up into separate processes or threads that run concurrently. Normally this would be a very good thing, but DirectX thinks otherwise. A lot of times it tries to load a speech file or a death sound on the fly and comes up with an error that some file can not be found. That is total non-sense as it worked x number of times before, but that one time DirectX can't find and load the file for whatever reason. By taking out some of these threads the game seams to crash less often, but by no means fixes DirectX's tendency to not load this or that file or give some screwy argument exception error that is total bologna. So it is clear Managed DirectX has to go, but we are talking a major upgrade is in order to fix the problem. I guess the only question does anyone have any complaints about me taking however long it takes to fix this problem by rewriting the audio and input cores. I know I've gotten a few e-mails of late that said I'm taking too long on the game already, and I'm sure such people won't leave me alone until 1.0 is released with bugs and all. I'm not very familiar with SlimDX or the other alternatives out there so I'm not sure how long this will put me behind by taking out Managed DirectX and switching over to something else. So if people are willing to wait I could upgrade the engine to fix this error.


*Smile*

Scott Chesworth wrote:
Yup, I'm seeing it here but can't consistently reproduce it.  Happens
randomly on two systems, one of which is a totally fresh install of
Windows and all the .net and directx stuff just a few days old, so
that shouldn't have too many quirks yet.

I've refrained from posting about it until now because I can't
reproduce it, but seeing as someone else has I thought I might as well
add some weight.

Tom, if you have any ideas of things we can try to help you track this
one down I'm all ears.  The error itself is just the standard
tomb.exe, if you were in the middle of something we're awfully
sorry... blah blah.  No error code or anything to report.

Cheers
Scott


---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to