Hi Thomas,
Memory management is exactly the sort of thing I do find difficult. Like I say. When and how pointers and memory works is a mystery to me, even though people have attempted to explain it to me.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] To Philip on C++

Hi Chastity,
Well, the primary difference with the .NET languages and a language like C++ in terms of memory management is that the .NET Framework has what we call a garbage collector. The garbage collector periodically destroyes unused objects etc to free up memory so it lets newer or lazy programmers get away with being a bit sloppy in terms of cleaning up after him or herself when programming. In C++ since it compiles directly to a native binary you don't have that safety net of a built in garbage collector to clean up after you. if you create a pointer or new object on the heap it is up to you to safely release it freeing up memory on your own. It isn't hard to do, but you have to take that extra step of releasing pointers and objects when they are no longer needed else you will have some major memory leaks. As far as writing games in C++. That's no problem. Back in college when I was taking C++ I wrote all kinds of simple text based games like Blackjack, Hangman, Guess the Number, whatever for practice. So you can do that sort of thing for practice before you get into more complicated games.

HTH