Hi Philip,
Thanks for that. It has been years since I took a class on C++ so I don't actually remember all the specifics of how much memory each data type uses, how much memory a pointer uses, etc. I just remember when and where I should use them. Which is really all that is required. These days knowing how many byts you are using really isn't that necessary when we have lots of memory to play with. Still that doesn't mean we should use a long integer when we could get by with a short integer, or use a double variable when all we need is a floating point variable. <Grin>

Philip Bennefall wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Pointers do use a little bit of memory, the word size of the particular platform to be more precise. So a pointer on a 32 bit platform takes up 32 bits of memory (e.g. 4 bytes), in order to store the memory address of the location which is being pointed to.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall