Hi Thomas,

Yes, I always clean up after myself also as I find it more comfortable to know exactly when memory is freed and when it is not. I was just considering pros and cons of garbage collection there for a while. I've decided to stick with my current design, however, and not implement a garbage collector at all.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] To Philip on C++

Hi Philip,
No, I don't generally make use of garbage collection. I took C++ in
college in the late 90's long before the .NET Framework came out so I
was taught first and foremost to clean up after myself manually.  Like a
lot of old school developers I feel depending on a garbage collector to
clean up after you is somewhat sloppy and lazy coding. However, that
isn't to say it doesn't have its advantages.
A lot of C++ developers, especially new programmers, have a problem with
memory leaks as they often forget to release pointers and objects when
they are no longer needed. A garbage collector is helpful in minimizing
those memory leaks by working in the background to make sure those
pointers and objects properly get released when they are no longer
necessary. In that sense a garbage colector comes in handy as it insures
you have a safety net to fallback on to make sure you don't have any
major memory leaks somewhere.

HTH

Philip Bennefall wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Quite so. Not only is memory availability skyrocketing, but
programming is becoming more and more abstract so that one soon won't
have to worry about these things very much at all. Still, though I
have not taken any programming classes myself but have learnt purely
from experience I enjoy picking up some of the theory as well as the
practical aspects as I find that having knowledge on both fronts has
been useful to me more than once.

And while we're on the subject of memory management, do you yourself
make use of garbage collection? I am considering adding it to my
engine but have not yet made up my mind, as everything is allocated
and freed manually at this point and it has worked rather well so far.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall