Hi Damien,
I guess some times it is kind of a hard concept to get across once you have been so use to the way Visual Basic does things. However, some things are pretty obvious if you think about it. Like if you wanted to know if you needed to use a short or long integer. Take a game like Troopenum. In the game after 5 ships lands game over. Well, you don't need a lot of memory to store the numbers 0 through 5 so a short integer would be practical here, and you only use something like 2 byts to keep that variable in memory. Now, if you want to keep track of scoring that can be in the hundred thousands you obviously need more memory to store that big a number so a long integer would be used. Instead of 2 byts you now have reserved 4 byts for that variable. That much makes sense to you i'm sure. Pointers are exactly what the name implies. it points to some specific data already in memory. Kind of like a reference card that tells you on what stack, shelf, and isle a book can be located in the public library. Instead of books pointers keep track of certain data on file in your computer's memory, and can reference it for you when you call that pointer. As I recall unlike variables pointers don't actually use memory themselves but references some data already in memory rather than creating a block of memory and storing it there.

HTH

Damien C. Sadler wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Memory management is exactly the sort of thing I do find difficult. Like I say. When and how pointers and memory works is a mystery to me, even though people have attempted to explain it to me.
Regards,
Damien.