From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org]
On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 21 December 2009 09:08 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] new game idea: teddy bear machines

Hi Nicol,
Yes, we have those machines here in the United States too. However, they

aren't exactly fair. The main reason is they are specifically designed
not to be able to pick up the larger stuffed toys, and in many other
cases there is a switch in the arm that prevents it from grabbing the
toys too tightly. In other words the game cheats. As a result you have a

very slim chance in actually getting a toy out of one of those machines.
However, my uncle has good luck playing with those toy machines. He
starts by going for the smaller stuffed toys, and those not packed too
tightly into the machine. Some times it takes a couple of tries to
actually get one of the toys out, because he will have it part way to
the exit when the arm just lets go of it. Still they can be beaten if
you have enough money and patients to take out the toys one by one even
if it isn't exactly the toy you want.
I remember a case a few years back we were in the mall and my uncle
stood at one of those machines playing all day. he would take quarters
from kids and he would get little stuffed lions, monkeys, dogs, whatever

out of the machine left and right. When I asked him how he did that he
said there is a trick to it, and you pretty much have to know which toys

the arm will take and which ones it will just drop or not get a good
grip on. Just because there is a big panda sitting on top of the heap of

stuffed toys doesn't mean the machine can actually get it out. However,
it is something most kids would try and get out spending lots of
quarters on a single big toy instead of going for something less
desirable but more accessible and likely to get.
As far as an accessible computerized version goes it could be
interesting. Although, I'm not sure on how to make it so that it would
be realistic. A lot of people don't get anything out of those machines,
and there has to be a pretty high statistical chance against getting
certain toys out of the machine. There is a lot of factors such as size,

wait, and how tightly the toy is in the machine. how often the arm
simply drops a toy because it doesn't have a good tight grip on it. Lots

of things to think about here.

Cheers!

Please Note: This email and its contents are subject to our email legal notice