Hi Nicol,
Yes, we have those machines here in the United States too. However, they aren't exactly fair. The main reason is they are specifically designed not to be able to pick up the larger stuffed toys, and in many other cases there is a switch in the arm that prevents it from grabbing the toys too tightly. In other words the game cheats. As a result you have a very slim chance in actually getting a toy out of one of those machines. However, my uncle has good luck playing with those toy machines. He starts by going for the smaller stuffed toys, and those not packed too tightly into the machine. Some times it takes a couple of tries to actually get one of the toys out, because he will have it part way to the exit when the arm just lets go of it. Still they can be beaten if you have enough money and patients to take out the toys one by one even if it isn't exactly the toy you want. I remember a case a few years back we were in the mall and my uncle stood at one of those machines playing all day. he would take quarters from kids and he would get little stuffed lions, monkeys, dogs, whatever out of the machine left and right. When I asked him how he did that he said there is a trick to it, and you pretty much have to know which toys the arm will take and which ones it will just drop or not get a good grip on. Just because there is a big panda sitting on top of the heap of stuffed toys doesn't mean the machine can actually get it out. However, it is something most kids would try and get out spending lots of quarters on a single big toy instead of going for something less desirable but more accessible and likely to get. As far as an accessible computerized version goes it could be interesting. Although, I'm not sure on how to make it so that it would be realistic. A lot of people don't get anything out of those machines, and there has to be a pretty high statistical chance against getting certain toys out of the machine. There is a lot of factors such as size, wait, and how tightly the toy is in the machine. how often the arm simply drops a toy because it doesn't have a good tight grip on it. Lots of things to think about here.

Cheers!

Nicol Oosthuizen wrote:
Attention all south African  members: arrie willem and jakob
But you guys in other parts of the world may also comment.
Have you seen those machines where one can win a teddy bear by  beating
a little game?
My mom has always told me about these machines, they are very tricky.
Basically you are using an arm to pick up one of the teddy bears inside
the machine. You have to press buttons similarly to those found on
joysticks, the arm is inside the machine.
Its very tricky, most of the times the teddy bear falls off the arm into
the bucket before one can retrieve it.
Basically one have to move the arm forward somewhat like in a
sidescroller, till the arm riches a teddybear, then one have to try and
pick up the bear with this arm and bring it to the side of the bucket
and lift it high enough so that the machine releases it. The machine will try its best to drop the bear again.
So how would you guys feel about a game similar to  these teddy bear
machines ?Of course, I am not the potential developer, I just wish that
a game like these teddy bear machines can be made.
The teddy bear machines I have been to, while you play the game and also
while the machine idles until someone else plays, the music these
machines plays, is the lambada tune instrumentally.
Have you guys in other parts of the world also seen these teddy bear
machines?Some of them even contains watches. A teddy bear catch game would rock. have a sunny day Please Note: This email and its contents are subject to our email legal notice which can be viewed at http://www.sars.gov.za/Email_Disclaimer.pdf