Hello,

It sounds to me like you have spelled out all of the benefits and detriments to both sides. The only things I would ad are that you can always increase and decrease the size of a private team as needed, but you typically should give the members a free copy of the software when the game is finished. With public beta, you do not have the same control, but you also do not need to provide software in recompense for the testing of it.

I have been involved in both private and public beta programs. I tend to prefer the public beta because you get many more and different perspectives. Then again, I am not a programmer.

David Chittenden, MSc, CRC, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com

Philip Bennefall wrote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to put a question out. What are your opinions of private testing
with a dedicated team versus publicly released betas that everyone can try out?
I have a new game in development now, and I am considering whether to make a
public beta available similar to what Thomas Ward and Jason Alan have done. I
see some pros and cons with private testing, though:

Pros:
1. Easier to manage. Since you have only a few people who are testing the game
you do not need to answer the same questions or receive the same bug reports
numerous times.

2. The element of surprise. With a private team, very few people know about the
development and so it comes as more of a nice surprise when something new is
released, where as in the case when everyone knows pretty much everything that
is going on it's hardly unexpected when a game finally is released. In the
worst case, some people may even have gotten tired of the game after playing
the betas!

Cons:

1. Limited testing=more possible bugs. If you have a smaller team you are not
as likely to catch every single bug before the product goes to release. This
can result in some pretty rapid patch releases (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1, etc) right
after 1.0 has been put out and this obviously doesn't look too good.

2. Nagging. If everyone knows about the game while it is being developed, I
fear that some people would be sending emails asking when the next version is
out or wanting to know why this or that feature that they suggested hasn't been
implemented. This is of course a very broad generalization and I do not in any
way wish to insinuate that a lot of people do this, but there are a few cases
and it might make it annoying for the developer to see the project all the way
to the end. If no one except the private testing team knows about the game,
then you will not get any public comments before you go 1.0 and then you are
obviosly prepared to take them.

On the other hand, of course, more public suggestions means more good possible
ideas for the developer to work with. Thoughts, anyone?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall