Hi Dark,
That's my entire point though. In order for me to test the entire game I have to give away a full unlocked copy to someone that way the final game level which is different from the first gets fully tested as well as all the levels in between. That's why I made the point that a developer really could use a private team for testing the full/unlocked copy where the public team gets only a demo for general testing on a larger range of systems and platforms.

dark wrote:
Hi tom.

I wasn't in anyway suggesting giving away public copies of the game. As has already been said, public copies should be restricted to demo content only, and for the purposes of testing the general running and mechanics of the game.

If you've got a game which employs vastly different enemies and mechanics throughout, so that the last level is vastly different to the first, ---- then indeed private testing does make sense as you will need people to play the private version.

there are stil other options than giving away free coppies though such as reductions in price.
#
Essentially it just depends upon how complete your private beta is.

Beware the grue!