I think the idea here is to get across the most amount of info with
the least amount of noise over the top of a good song, right?

So, firstly there needs to be a clear distinction between the left and
right hand.
The right hand seems simple enough, as as far as I know we're only
dealing with a down or up strum.  Seeing as down tends to be used more
and traditionally marks accents they should probably stand out
slightly more than upstrokes.  Peccussive sounds make sense to me for
the right hand seeing as we're dealing with rhythm, so perhaps a high
short peccussive noise for an upstroke, and a lower one with a bit
more oomph could indicate a down.

The left hand being less peccussive and more note-based would make
sense seeing as there's a wider set of options to express.  I'd
suggest a short beep is bound to each button, with widely spread
intervals between the choice of note that expresses each button so
that those without good relative pitch still have a fair chance of
distinguishing a fast sequence.  That doesn't solve chords, because a
few short sounds playing at once would be hard to analyse.  Don't
really have a solution for that unless Harmonix's engine sees chords
as being different from just a set of simultaneous notes if that makes
sense.  If it does, it'd give us options.  If it doesn't, I'm stumpt.

All the above probably sounds super annoying on paper, but with a
volume option for it and the ability to switch it on and off with ease
(perhaps in the pause menu if there is one) most VI gamers could
probably find a level to suit them.  Remember that most people will
turn the thing off once they're comfortable with a song anyway.

It's not super eligant, but seems like it could be fairly easy to
integrate for them.  Any takers or better suggestions?

Scott