Hey Clement,

There are a few reasons why I thought learning sounds needed to be
there even for drums, if you've got a sec I'll run them by you.

>From the breif bit of playing I did on Rock Band it seemed that the
buttons you were expected to press often didn't match what I was
hearing on the song exactly.  I know a few drummers who actually make
their livings out of being behind kits everyday and have heard them
moaning about the same thing, that they mimic complex fills exactly
and don't make the cut because the game is expecting what's been
mapped out instead and that's not always an accurate interpretation.
It's understandable of course, because the poor souls who map the
songs out for the game have to try and express a whole bodies worth of
movement and subtle grooves on a couple of plastic buttons, I wouldn't
fancy their job much.  In situations like that though, the learning
sounds would be mega helpful.  I was also thinking that because we've
got the opportunity here to represent a snare with a snare or a crash
with a crash, these would be the easiest set of sounds for people to
start learning on, particularly whilst they get used to the scrolling
system and how that relates to the song.  The third consideration is
for the folks who have a good sense of rhythm but a less than useful
sense of pitch, because they do exist.  People like that are going to
struggle with the guitar beepy system no matter how wide the
intervals, and it seems unfair that they'd have no hints available to
learn the songs they want to jam online or whatever with their drummer
hat on.

Make sense?  Feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish if I'm talking rubbish.

Scott