Hi Thomas,

I would suggest a website called www.voices.com. I have found some truly incredible actors and actresses on there, and they are not overly expensive. You simply post your job (usually with a word count and a script sample), or if the script is short you post the whole thing and then you will literally get hundreds of auditions within the first couple of days. You can then browse through these, listening to people actually reading your script and comparing their quotes, and finally you just pick up the phone and give the chosen person a buzz.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mota and tts

Hi Philip,
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I've had two people interested in
doing the voice work for the game, but both pulled out last minute and
weren't able to do it. That's why we ended up with Acapela
Heather.However, I really think when we near  final production I'll
look for someone else to do the voice overs.
As far as your points about synthetic speech I definitely can't argue
with that assessment. No matter how good the synthetic speech is it
really lacks emotion and often makes mistakes. So yes I'm interested
in a human voice actor myself, but having problems finding one who
will see it through to the end.

Hi Thomas,

I would like to make a small suggestion for Mota, if I may. I appreciate the
convenience of using synthetic speech while the game is in intensive
development (e.g. when you have a million things changing from day to day),
but in my mind you make a much more professional impression on your end
users if you use an actual voice talent in the final product. Since you are using concatenated audio files anyway, this would not be a difficult thing to do as it would just be a matter of replacing the tts version of each file
with the real woman's voice. To me, this gives the game a much nicer
atmosphere and an over-all nicer feel, as I personally tend to get rather
irritated with the little glitches that are inevitably going to be present in every concatenated tts voice. When I say concatenated in this case I do not mean your game sound files but rather the way that the actual voice is
constructed, there are hundreds of little chunks that they try to fit
together to form the particular phrase in question and these engines are far from perfect. A real lady would be able to emphasise her words so that you really feel for what she is saying and can put it in teh context of the game
so to speak, rather than the dry and unemotional tts voice equivalent. I
guess what I'm trying to say is, in a game where the text is so dynamic so
that a real human voice would be impossible such as Entombed I can put up
with tts, but in a game like Mota I think it would be highly benefitial for the end product to use an actual voiceover artist. Again, you would only do
these recordings when you feel that it's not very likely that the general
set of words and phrases will change much. As an example, imagine Q9 with
NeoSpeech Paul?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall