Hi Shaun,
I'm not really sure what sound cards are currently on top. Despite
what I've said about Creative going down hill I know the Creative Labs
Audigy 4 Pro is a pretty good sound card for games and music, and does
have a lot of good reviews. In terms of other brands I've heard Asus
has some good high-def sound cards, but have not any experience with
them. Another brand that seams to be popular, but I don't have
experience with, is M-Audio.
HTH