Hi,
Well, every game is different because the person who wrote it may have
used different logic  in designing the AI, but by and large it is as
simple as doing the most logical move for the situation.  If it is a
game like Chess and it is worth losing a pon to capture a powerful
piece like a queen you are going to take it. That would be the logical
thing to do. So that is basically how computers work. It factors risks
simply by what seams to be the best choice for the moment. If You can
figure out what the computers best move would be at that current point
in time you can try and factor it into your game plan.
As I said before computer AI generally takes the bruit force method.
they use swarm tactics, go straight for the most powerful pieces on
the board,  and tend to go for your throat early on. I remember one
time playing Elite Chess and losing the game in a total of five moves.
It wasn't that the computer was technically smarter than me, but I
didn't see that particular brute force attack coming until I was
basically screwed strategy wise.  It had diverted my attention
elsewhere on the board so it could go for my king quick and fast. Now,
however, I have learned that little stunt I take better care to make
sure my king either has legal maneuvering room or is well protected
from a quick kill. You play against a computer AI long enough you
begin to learn several of its dirty tricks.

Cheers!