In that case, I have very little idea how my chess computer thinks, because I can only beat it on the first 7 of it's 64 skill levels. On the box, it was claimed to be able to beat 99.95 percent of tournament players. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] AI - Re: multiple player game

Hi Charles,
Well, the type of simple AI I described to Jim Kitchen wouldn't really
be appropriate for a chess game. there are far too many factors
involved to make it feasable to write the AI that way. There are
however more complex types of AI out there which could and should be
used in that situation.  The only reason I didn't mention them before
is because most of the people out there probably don't have the
background to discuss fuzzy logic and other complex AI systems like
that.
However, even so Chess is a very complex game to play. it is even
harder to program as it requires a lot of strategy and thinking ahead
a few moves. That's why computers are almost written using a straight
forward brute force attack because it is the least complex strategy to
program. A human player can be a lot more cunning, daring, risky, etc
where no computer Chess program ever quite matches human skill and
cunning. It usually has the same motive of operation. If  you can
figure out its mode of operation, game plan, you can counter it pretty
easily. Problem is most people don't know enough how computers think
to actually beat the computer at its own game.

Cheers!