Hi Kevin,
Yeah, AutoIt was never designed for the kinds of games you are
thinking of here. Far too many would be game developers tried it,
trying to take the easy road to game development, and crashed and
burned using that scripting language. So obviously you need a more
professional language to use for agame like Battle Boomer.
Now, the question here is what sort of programming language do you
have in mind for the port? I wouldn't recommend Visual Basic 6 simply
for the fact it is no longer officially supported on Windows Vista and
Windows 7. Basically, it is a dead language, and only a handful of
developers are still using it professionally. It isn't that I don't
like Visual Basic 6, but I do feel strongly that if you are going to
take the time learning a language and writing games in it you should
start with something current.
I know that C++ isn't the easiest language to learn, but like Philip
I'm coming to believe it really is the best language for games.  There
really aren't any languages that compare with C/C++ for game
development. however, if I had to pick a good second it would be
Microsoft's C# .NET language which I was using for Tomb Hunter
Mysteries of the Ancients and Star Trek Final Conflict. So I would be
able to help with either one, and rrecommend one of those for your
Battle Boomer project.