Hi Shaun,
Which is partly my point. Almost all operating systems including
Windows 7 are designed to be fully multi-user environments, and
therefore application should save settings either to the registry or
to the user's home directory. Settings technically should not be saved
in the applications directory, and is a throwback to Windows 98 when
multi-user environments and user account control etc didn't exist.

Smile.