Hi Lori,
Well, two reasons.
First, the game was only designed for one enemy per room. I could add
two enemies to each room, but that would greatly increase the
difficulty of the game.  There are some who say the game is too hard
already.
Second, for an enemy to attack another accidently or otherwise would
require a major rewrite of the enemy A.I. for the game. At this late
date I consider that area of the game closed to future development.
We're focusing on getting new levels added, game registration, etc. We
really can't afford to spend any more time on taking suggestions like
this at the current time.
 Finally, while such a stunt might work with some enemies it probably
wouldn't for all of them.  As someone else mentioned centaurs are
highly inteligent and aren't likely to fall for such a stunt. dull
witted skeletons and zombies might however.

HTH