Hi Shaun,
The pistol has a fairly decent range.  I believe it is set to 100
which is around 33 meters in real measurements. Since there are no
rooms currently that large you shouldn't have to get in too close to
attack any enemy.
However, as of beta 13 enemies can dodge attacks and centaurs can run
extremely fast. Harpies can swoop down on you before you really expect
it. Let us just say the enemies in beta 13 are fast, mean, and a lot
tougher then their beta 12 counterparts.  Oh, and did I mention don't
get within kissing distance of a harpy or she'll rip your throat out
if she gets a chance?