Hi Dark,
I guess i was thinking of DK 64. That's one you didn't mention below.
Not sure if Mario was in that or not, but I thought he was.
In any case I know what you mean by the different environments etc.
We've got a long way to go in the ag market in even producing a
side-scroller on par with the NES, Super NES, and Nintendo 64
platforms let alone anything more modern.  That's why I am working on
my fantacy game that will be something like Golden Ax, but not an
exact clone. Conceptually the same, I guess, but will have its own
story, characters, and unique style of game play.
For example, instead of Greek Amazons my  female villains will be
German valkyries  which, by all accounts, were very ruthless fighters
in combat historically. There will be enemy knights and foot soldiers,
skeleton warriors, and of course the ocational giant or two. Still
hammering out the rest, but it is part way through the conception
stage.