Hi,
Oh, and don't forget Donkey Kong.  Mario is the lead character in
those games as well.
Anyway, I know what you mean. Mario is in several Nintendo titles, but
after seeing him running through the jungle on Kong Island in Donkey
Kong or racing to rescue Princess Toadstool from King Coopa  in Super
Mario Brothers it sort of seams funny seeing him playing golf, taking
the ski slopes, or racing around in Mario Cart. Guess that is what he
does on his days off. Lol!
As for playing Raiden in an NBA game that is down right funny.  I
imagine if he gets mad at anyone steeling his ball he is liable to
blast them into dust.  So he is one dude you wouldn't want to mess
with out there on the court.
As for the idea of mixing accessible game characters in an all in one
title that sounds pretty cool to me. I could just imagine  a game were
the heroes would be taking on the super vilains. Angela Carter, Super
Liam, Sarah Good,  etc taking on the likes of Commander Athiar, X1,
and Lord Vector. That would be a blast.