Hi Bryan,
Yes, in deed. In fact, that is one reason I largely use Linux these
days for most things. For one thing not only is it free to use you
don't have to worry about hardware based licenses for commercial
software. For the most part all you need to do is install the base
operating system, install any additional software packages, and you
are set. No need to enter several product licenses one after another.
However, because Linux does have its limits I generally keep at least
one Windows system around just to play games, to program, etc but it
is sure nice not having to put up with hardware based licenses with
Linux based software.
All of the commercial Linux software I own generally requires a
standard license key, and that's it. Like with the Cepstral TTS voices
you run the swift licensing tool tell it what voice to licence, enter
the product key, and your done. It works on every computer i have so I
don't have to worry about all the third-party voices I purchased being
tied to any particular computer. Most commercial software for Linux is
generally like that. No hardware based licensing that I've ever seen.