Hi,
The problem I tend to find is that you can turn around and, yes, all the sounds will pan. But I can never tell if a certain sound is behind you or in front of you, and then of course I walk forward and the sound is fading away, and then I realise that I must in fact be going backwards. That's where the real confusion comes in.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Important MOTA News

Hi Allen,
No, you won't specifically need a surround sound setup. It is one of
those cases where if you have a surround sound setup the game
certainly should be able to use it to full effect, but if you don't it
will fall back to simple 2d stereo panning. If you have ever played
Shades of Doom or Tank Commander basicly that's what happens when you
put on a set of regular stereo headphones.  They aren't surround sound
so they reproduce the sound in a simple 2d stereo format which works,
you can play the game, but you lose the full effect of the surround
sound. Make sense?
Eventually, when Streemway is converted to XAudio2 I'll look into
supporting 5.1 and 7.1 sound cards and speaker setups more
specifically, but for the time being I'm not going to require that
high tech for the fps version of MOTA. Especially, since I know the
average gamer out here has pretty generic audio hardware that gets
shipped in Compaqs, HP, Gateway, etc type computers. In other words
cheap e-machine hardware that gets the job done but isn't spectacular.
So I have to take that into account when designing my games.