Hi Hayden,
Yeah, the two different myths regarding Set are from two completely
different periods in Egyptian history. The Egyptians living in the Old
Kingdom would have been shocked and surprised to find out there
decendants believed Set to be evil, and regarded him as heroic. The
Egyptians in the New Kingdom thought of Set as evil itself. Probibly
do to the influences of the kingdom having been split between upper
and lower Egypt for many years, and each side picked a champion god.
The Egyptians living in Upper Egypt, the south worshipped Horris, and
the lower Kingdom, north, worshipped Set. This  time period is when
the priests of Horris began demonizing Set, and making him into
something else than the old religious text said he was. Since Upper
Egypt eventually beat Lower Egypt, once again reuniting the kingdom,
it is not surprising Set remained evil and Horris became a national
god and was eventually seen as a heroic champion of everyone as he
finally defeated Set according to the religious texts.