Chess, too, is ancient history. Has it been discarded because it is over a thousand years old? No. It has evolved, but not thrown out. Why? Because it does what it was designed to do, and it still works. So does XP, and it should be updated rather than just thrown out because it is old software.

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Tomb Hunter Error

Hi Shaun,
Oh, I don't know. A lot of the newer stuff for Windows 7 simply is not
backwards compatible with Windows XP. That's why Microsoft doesn't
have an upgrade installation that upgrades Windows XP to Windows 7 and
you have to do a complete reinstall. The operating systems are just
too different to make that really possible. Only a certain amount of
things can be upgraded from XP to Windows 7 compatible stuff, and then
it is just not going to be upgraded without a massive rewrite or
upgrade which microsoft won't do obviously. Let's face it, guys,
Windows XP is ancient history. There is a reason Microsoft wants to
begin dropping support for XP and not all of it has to do with money.
It has to do with an operating system that is 9-years old and is
becoming harder and harder to update and support while maintaining
compatibility with their newer Windows releases. Weather youlike
Windows 7 or not that's our future unless you decide to buy a Mac or
go Linux. Windows XP is not going to be around forever.

well Interestingly ms is trying to make xp look as good though you
need to get optional updates.
in the latest ie end of last month win xp has limited dotnet support
for dotnet4.
Its not a complete library but things like forms and a few other
things are supported.
Its probably quite basic but I think ms is going to make xp go out with a
bang.
its not going to be win7 ofcause but I think we will see bits and
pieces of the new os enter xp stuff which is not major to the system.