Hi,
Yes, a room is a good start. I suggest looking through some of the available source code to get an idea of this sort of thing as well. Practice making small rooms or examples of your own. As for what I use to write Inform, I find the program itself quite useful as a development environment, though not always as speech-friendly as one might like. It does work though.
Best,
Zack.