Thomas,

Using a fixed set of arrays like you've mentioned below allows you
instant access to any element in the array, but it really limits what
you can do in terms of large scale constructs with many small items.

I'd recommend taking a look at how first person shooters construct
their game world, because they have arbitrarily large environments
with small sections that have very fine detail.  As I understand it,
they simply have an infinite coordinate system, then they put walls
and objects where they're needed to make things like the ground, edges
of the map, ceiling, etc.

The down side of doing a coordinate based system is that you have to
do some kind of edge or bump detection, so you know when you run into
a wall.  But for that cost, you get rid of the scaling issues you've
encountered, and you can make things arbitrarily free-form.

Good luck!

Dennis Towne
Alter Aeon MUD - http://www.alteraeon.com