Hi,

Basically, that is what I do in G3D as well. When the player
approaches anything like a trap, wall, ledge, whatever it plays a
different floor material sound to indicate that something is coming
up. So in the case of a wall I could add certain step sounds that
would echo or be muted to let you know a wall is near.