To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Accessibility Article

Hi Dark,

Dark Wrote:

I've often wondered for a while if people with perfectly normal vision
would find a basic program to read aloud a page of text or a webpage
useful for
similar reasons, though of course the down side would be that they'd
probably not have a decent voice to do it in.

My response:

Actually, such programs do exist. For example, Text Aloud, sold by
Nextup.com, is one such program. It was never designed strictly as an
accessibility program. It was actually written and designed for the
mainstream market, and if you look at their feedback section there are
comments from editors, authors, journalists, etc that use Text Aloud
in their day job to listen to e-mails or to listen to whatever it is
they are working on. Of course, Nextup.com sells a variety of high
quality voices from Scansoft, Cepstral, AT&T, Neospeech, etc so I
think that awareness of better voices is certainly out there.

In fact, the Sapi voices are one of those technologies that helps us,
but has been used quite extensively in the mainstream market as well.
A number of Sapi voices are employed for answering phones, speaking
recorded messages, and the weather channel, etc uses Sapi voices  to
read out the weather reports 24/7. They are used in our day to day
lives, and help everyone.

Smile.