Hi,

Actually, those kind of apps were even around since the Dos/Windows
3.1 days. I doubt if anyone remembers this, but when Creative Labs
released the Sounbblaster 16 sound card one of its selling points is
it came with a software TTS voice, the name escapes me at the moment,
and a Dos program that would read text documents aloud. I used the
program a lot for listening to various text documents. However, the
fact of the matter is this stuff has been around for years.

Cheers!