To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Screen reader support in BGT

what about nvda with the nvda controler client dll.
THats not gona be that hard to do, nvda doesn't block keys.
At 05:51 a.m. 21/01/2011, you wrote:
Hi all,

I have been opposed to adding screen reader support into BGT since
the very beginning, though I am beginning to change my mind. The
primary reason for my not wanting to do it has been the fact that
Jaws steals a large number of keys from DirectInput, making it very
hard to play games if Jaws is loaded and not in sleep mode. However,
I have just managed to solve this problem.

Jaws uses what is known as a low level, system wide keyboard hook
which basically monitors the state of the keyboard device and
decides whether input should be allowed through so that other
applications can see it. Jaws, as we all know, decides that a lot of
keys should not be let through such as the arrows, escape and a
whole bunch of others. So what I have done is to set up a low level
keyboard hook of my own, though a process specific hook rather than
a global one. Why? Because process specific hooks always take
priority over global ones, which means that I can simply tell my
keyboard hook to allow everything through... And there you have it.
Jaws and DirectInput are now the best of friends.

I am going to enable this as an option in BGT, because even though I
tell everything to go straight through it does block certain Jaws
specific keystrokes from being processed while you are in the
window, almost as though Jaws had been in sleep mode though it
technically is not. In other words, this will enable me to add
support for Jaws speech output while preventing Jaws from messing
about with the keyboard input.

Just some information I figured I would share with you.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall