Thanks for the advice, everyone! NVDA and System Access are workable, but clumsy. JAWS is much nicer, it approaches VoiceOver in usability, but it's incredibly expensive (you could buy a new computer for less). Of course, I can use it in the free demo mode for my purposes, but do people really spend so much on JAWS?

I guess the most important question is, what software do people actually use? I see after a quick inspection that all of these options read my webpages slightly differently. I don't want to waste time making it work well with a program that no one uses.

Thanks,
David