greetings Thomas.

I definitely agree with you about the vast differences between mainstream and accessible game complexity. Syphon Filter, as a quick and dirty example, allows the character to jump, duck, roll, sprint, yata yata. On top of that, he can aim his weapon independently, rather than just turning his body to orient the gun. This is by far much more realistic, particularly for pistols which are able to be aimed quite freely due to their lower shock. Rifles may not be as flexible, but even they were aimable up, down, and side to side. Shotguns has a spread effect, which allowed the player to be slightly less accurate and still manage a hit. Worse yet, Syphon Filter is a fairly simplistic game where these mechanics are concerned, so if that' simplistic, Shades of Doom would be like child's play. Worse thing about SOD, as I've mentioned before, is that it doesn't really do proper calculations for impact... gun fires, you're hit if you're where the monster is aiming. There's no bullet physics (which, due to recoil and skill could cause a bullet to miss even if the player's in the right position), no projectile speed differences to distinguish between the speeds of the different weapons (a laser pistol fires just as fast as a bolt-action rifle in SOD), no time dilation to reflect distance from target, etc, etc.

SOD was good for it's time, but we really need a new approach.

Kai

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Confusion about getting past the first level in MOTA.

Hi,

Well, that only works for games like the side-scroller where you can
choose. With the 3d fps version, for example, every available modifier
key will need to be used for something. You have the ability to run,
jump, crawl, turn left/right, not to mention any kind of specials like
safety drop, roll, etc. I'm sorry but you guys don't have the faintest
clue what mainstream fps games are like these days. Shades of Doom is
rather simplistic in comparison, and doesn't offer the number of
actions/moves as a real mainstream game. You are going to have to
update your thinking quite a lot once I begin producing fps titles.

I suggest we allow the player to choose between alt or control
Control works for me.