Hi Phil,

Actually, the game already works this way. The sword uses more
strength than a dagger. I'm not quite sure of the units off the top of
my head, but I think a sword takes 5 units of strength and a dagger
uses only 1.  In that way a dagger is a better weapon if you are
conserving strength, but the sword is better for maximum hitpoint
value.