Sorry it took me so long to respond Ken, I didn't notice your post.  I am using
VB6 to write the Daytona games, yes.  The first step is to store the mouse
coordinates yourself rather than just letting the mouse move freely, otherwise
you will get undesirable results as the cursor hits the edges of the screen and
stops.

There are a few ways, of course, but for me I use 3 variables to store
directions.  As the mouse moves, calculate the angle and categorize it as being
one of 8 possible directions, North, South, East, West, and the 4 diagonals.
As the direction changes, one of the variables strings together every N,S,E,W
direction.  One variable strings together each diagonal direction, and finally
the third variable holds them all.  I personally found it easier to figure out
the shapes when I split up the changes in this way.

Now, based on direction changes you can know what shape they drew.  As you
might already see, this method allows you to scale the shapes but it also isn't
specific enough to handle true letters.  For true letter shapes that have very
specific relative shapes to them, I am using a different method for Daytona 2.
It would take longer to explain but I had to take relative position and
distances into account for Daytona 2 since that game will use the alphabet and
should double as an educational tool in addition to being a fun game.