For the most part, you're right. However, sidestepping doesn't involve stepping towards or away from the opponent. Sidestepping involves stepping to the left or to the right of your opponent as you're facing them... if you want to move towards your opponent, you move forward. lol.

At 12:54 PM 17/02/2011, you wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:38:56PM -0500, Phil Vlasak wrote:
> Let me know if I am wrong, but I think all your characters are
> always on the left of the screen with the enemies always on the
> right, and when fighting they head for the middle.

[My Reply:]

        Fighter games typically have two characters on the screen, the
player 1 controller usually on the left, and the player 2 controller on
the right.  When the game is called "3-D", it usually means the same
thing, but the characters are able to side-step.  If the left-hand
character side-steps right, he's sidestepping towards you, or away from
you when side-stepping left.  Characters can switch sides of the screen
when one character jumps over or side-steps around the other character,
usually causing you to have to reverse the movement controls.  When
fighting a character to your right, moving away from them means you have
to move to the left, but when your positions have switched and you're
now on the right, you have to move right to move away from them.  If you
have to perform some elaborate movements to, say, wind up to pitch
something at the other character, that movement would have to be
reversed when you're on the other side of the screen.

        Imagine winding up your arm for an underhand throw.  If your
character was on the left side of the screen, facing to the right, the
motion would be in the counter-clockwise direction, but it would be
clockwise if you were on the other side of the screen facing to the
left.  If you can picture that, you'll get the idea.

                                Michael

--
Linux User:     177869 # Powered By: Intel # http://rivensight.dyndns.org