Hi,

Don't talk about my old primary school teacher. Oh gosh, I never ever concentrated in her lessons. Then I moved to secondary, and our french teacher is much more better there. I found her lessons even better. My teacher is planning to move me into a higher class, but I need to be well at my other subjects. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Creating Adventure Games

Hi Dark,

Best guess is because of the origens of the language. English started
out as a Germanic language when England was concored by germanic
tribes, and over the centuries English speaking people adopted or
borrowed from several other languages. We get words like mirage,
ambience, bureau, plateau, shateau, and crayon from French. We get
most of our scientific terms like psychology, biology, chemestry, and
so on from Greek. Here in the U.S. there are lots of places and things
named after Native American people, places, and things. The end result
of all this mixing of languages is that even when we set rules for
phonix and spelling they don't apply to every word in the English
language as a hole.

For example, in high school I took French. The phonix rules are very
very specific. Most of the time if you hear the o sound at the end of
a word like plateau, shateau, bureau, etc you should automatically
think e a u. If you hear an a sound at the end of a name/word it often
times is an accented ay followed by a e like in Renee. If I hear, voo,
I know it is spelled v o u s because the o u s sound makes that oo
sound. I found the language quite enjoyable because the spelling was
pretty much the way it sounded based on the phonix rules for the
language. I actually got higher grades in French class than I did in
English class. Now, I only half remember the language. Lol!