I'm not saying the music is bad. I like it, I just like to hear some variation in the music... and every stage seems to consist almost exclusively of procussion or a few plunked out notes here and there. And, compared to other games, MK's music is just a bit generic for my tastes. Compare these four songs, for example.

MK:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3394499/Mortal%20Kombat%20Deception%20-%20Arcade%20-%2007%20-%20Falling%20Cliffs.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3394499/Mortal%20Kombat%20Deception%20-%20Arcade%20-%2011%20-%20Lower%20Mines.mp3

Soul Calibur:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3394499/SC2%20OST%20-%201-07%20-%20Brave%20Sword%2C%20Braver%20Soul.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3394499/SC2%20OST%20-%201-11%20-%20Eternal%20Struggle.mp3

The MK tracks aren't bad... and I liked them. But soul calibur... another kettle of fish entirely. The MK music was turned down pretty low, just enough to be able to hear it and contribute to the atmosphere. Soul calibur had both sound and bgm turned all the way up. I don't know... just personal opinion, I guess.