Hi Bryan,

If you are running Microsoft Windows you should be using Microsoft's
.Net Framework instead of mono. For example, if you are running
Windows 7 it already comes with Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 so
installing Mono can cause some stability issues/conflicts between the
two .Net runtime APIs.

As for the cs files those are source code examples. You need a
compiler to compile them into Windows binaries, or more specifically
MSIL binaries which is an intermediate language used by Mono and the
.Net framework for .Net apps.

As far as free compilers goes you have your choice. First, there is
the cross-platform development compiler/IDE called Monodevelop. It is
basically a free and open source clone of Microsoft Visual C# designed
specifically for the Mono Framework. there is also a free commandline
compiler called cs, that comes with Mono, that allows you to compile
apps via the Windows command prompt, Linux shell, etc. Last but not
least, Microsoft has a free C# compiler called Visual C# Express 2008
which can compile apps for .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. For Mono
compatibility when starting a new Visual C# 2008 project select .Net
2.0 project from the project types and your apps will be Mono
compatible if you are aiming for cross-platform compatibility. If not
then use .Net 3.5 or later.

As for 64-bit operating systems I agree they are problematic. I don't
know about mono, but there is a 64-bit version of .Net Framework 4.0
for Windows 7 as it ships with the operating system. The only problem
you will face is that nither Microsoft's Visual C# 2005 Express,
Visual C# 2008 Express, or Visual C# 2010 Express support 64-bit
operating systems out of the box. Instead one of the restrictions
Microsoft has on the free .Net tools is that they will compile 32-bit
and/or Any CPU platforms only. So if you want true 64-bit support from
the Microsoft .Net compilers unfortunately you have to buy them. So as
it turns out you'll probably be better off compiling 32-bit .Net apps
anyway.