Hi Jim,

Yes, my Blackjack game as well as the wrestling game I'm working on
are basically simple text games that use the command prompt window
under Windows and a terminal window under Mac OS and Linux. The reason
for that is that in order to create a textbox I have to use some
platform specific graphics toolkit like the Windows API, GTK+, QT,
Cocoa, etc and as we've already discussed that's exactly what makes
cross-platform development so hard for developers. There is no single
way to draw a window, add a textbox, and do that so it is both
cross-platform and accessible at the same time.

For example, when ever you write a Windows application weather it is
in Visual Basic, C++, or a .Net application it all wraps the Windows
API which is the defacto graphics toolkit for Windows development.
Most of the time screen readers can determine what is on the screen by
using user32.dll, which is part of the Windows API, to determine the
name of title bars, menu selections, figuring out which window is in
the forground, things like that. However, if you go and write the same
application using another toolkit like QT it might be cross-platform,
but Windows, Linux, and Mac screen readers will have accessibility
issues with it because it isn't the native graphics toolkit for the
platform. By and large if you want to write an accessible GUI
application for Windows use the Windows API. If you want to write an
accessible GUI application for Linux use GTK+ commonly called the
Gnome graphics toolkit. If you want to write an accessible GUI
application for Mac OS use Cocoa. Which simply means one way or
another using a GUI is more trouble than its worth unless you are
using something like Mono.

I suppose if we really wanted a textbox or something like that, which
I don't think we need, I'd have to write it using Mono. The nice thing
about Mono, the open source version of .Net, it was designed to be
cross-platform independant. The System.Windows.Forms.dll wraps the
native graphics API for the platform allowing you to write the code
once, build once, but run it everywhere. On windows
System.Windows.Forms.dll wraps the Windows API where on Linux it wraps
GTK+. That's the way to do any kind of GUI programming in my opinion,
but that requires installing .Net or Mono which I believe you
mentioned you have never done since you don't like updating your
system using Windows updates etc. However, on the upside I could use
Windos events, timers, etc and mono would handle all that in the
background transparently.

Anyway, yeah, my locate function idea was just an idea. It probably
wouldn't be as nice as the locate function, but it probably wouldn't
be impossible to write one. That was basically my point. With a little
time and experimentation it could probably be done one way or another.