From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:01 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Possible WWE Roster

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I know. In C++ they call this streaming. You can open a file
stream and then send it directly to the console and most screen
readers will read it automatically. That's basically what I was
thinking of doing for my wrestling game. I still believe that writing
to the console directly as you mentioned in your example is the most
accessible way to design programs for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc as
every screen reader I know can and will read it. When you get into
graphics toolkits like the Windows API, GTK+, Cocoa, QT, etc is when
you begin running into accessibility issues.

For instance, let's take Java as a quick example. If I use the console
class and print text directly to the console using the WriteLine()
function Jaws, Window-Eyes, Hal, Orca, and pretty much anything out
there can read the text on the screen. Now, if you write a Java
graphical application using the Swing API suddenly you have to start
using the Java Access Bridge, figuring out which screen readers
support it, and it becomes an accessibility nightmare. So I believe
accessibility issues begin and end with this drive towards more and
more graphical programs.

The thing is that as blind developers we don't actually have to use a
window to write audio games. Most accessible game devs just create an
empty window, which is completely blank, just to direct sound and
input to. The thing is we don't actually have to do that since we
aren't using killer 3d graphics etc. All DirectSound, DirectInput, etc
need is a valid window handle. A developer can do that by writing a
Dos program that runs in the command prompt window, and simply grab
the window handle from the command prompt and pass it to DirectX.
Bingo you just saved yourself all the hastle of creating an empty
window in the process, and you can, if you wanted to, just write text
directly to the console for those using braille displays etc. I'm
strongly considering this as a possible upgrade to MOTA since the
application really doesn't need a physical window.

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Actually in dos there was a specific way to put text on the screen so that
> every single dos screen reader would speak it automatically.  It was
called
> writing to the consul or bios of the computer.  It looked like;
>
> OPEN "o", #1, "con"
> LOCATE 24, 50: PRINT #1, " Jim Kitchen"
>
> So once you opened a file number to the "con" every thing that you printed
> to it would automatically get spoken by a dos screen reader.  I sure do
wish
> that there was something similar for putting text on the screen in
Windows.