Hi Jim,

That makes sense. I have sometimes pulled off a first down by a short
pass offense or a long pass offense so it makes complete sense that is
exactly what the aposing team would do if they are on a third down and
12 yards to go. Those are long odds, but they can be b beaten with a
successful pass. So the most likely defence is to try and block the
pass or intercept it.