well I have tried to sell as many mice as I can.
Failing that watch your rabbit numbers.
If your numbers are just below say 1-2 shy of the required number pause the game immediately.
I found it possable to buy what I needed, hit space to unpause the mission.
They don't have to survive for more than a second or 2, just enough to finnish the quest.