From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:32 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] console gaming almost at an end

Hi,

Yes, that's true, but I don't think the article was really looking at
console sales right now. It was more of a promo or advertisement of
the kinds of technology we could expect to see within the next 10
years. Like all developers they seem to believe that their new
technologies will eventually whipe out the console competition and
gaming will move to the internet and you can simply dialup and play
using your Iphone or Android phone. Perhaps so, but I don't think that
anything like that could completely whipeout the console market. New
technologies usually never catch on as much as the developer expects.

For example, I remember Apple being mentioned specifically in the
article. Its true that Mac sales have doubled over the last three or
four years, thanks to the Mac X platform, and of course their IPhone
and IPod markets are doing well. However, they still have not been
able to replace Microsoft as the primary operating system of choice,
and Windows 7 sales are still way ahead of Mac OS 10.6 sales. On the
smart phone front Google's Android phones are giving Apple's IPhone
some stiff competition. My point being that if Apple or anyone else
thinks they can just kick Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony out of the
gaming market with a brand new internet based gaming platform they are
over estimating the impact of their technology.

First, PC based games have had internet or online capability for at
least the last 15 years or so. Many of the new consoles have online
modes which are quite popular. A new completely online gaming platform
might be the way of the future, but its not exactly totally new given
that internet access is becoming a part of game consoles etc already
My question would be, "what is so fantastic about this new gaming
platform that a game console doesn't have?".

Cheers!