Hi Dark,

Well, that was sort of my point. Every time you upgrade to a new
platform there is a cost involved both for developer and customer.
Sure, you can make a profit off of building a new platform, all new
games for that platform, and of course updated ports for the platform,
but there is also a lot of upfront research and development costs in
doing that. Many times if you have a stable platform, say the Wii, it
is better for the developer in the long run to stick with it for as
long as possible allowing the developer to reap the maximum profit
from the current technology through direct sales, licenses, etc. Now,
if someone comes out with a better console and you are losing sales
because of it, or you have hit the market potential for the console
that's when it is time to release a brand new console to compete with
the updated competition. However, there will always be a certain
amount of customers who will still want to use their current, perhaps
slightly older, console until the price comes down on the new console,
there are more games available for the console, and there are more
users who own the new console. So there tends to be a couple of years
between release date and when it takes over the previous markets.

For instance, the Wii can play Double Dragon and a number of other
classic NES games via the Wii Ware as you mentioned. Thing is I still
own the original 1980's and 1990's NES and SNES hardware and games.
I'm not going to go out and buy a Wii just to play those games as I
already have the games and proper hardware in the first place. Then,
many of the Wii Games such as Wii Sports are ok, but I'm not all that
interested in them personally. Sure I'll sit down with my family and
play Wii Sports Resort or whatever now and then, but its not the kind
of thing I would by for myself. A lot of the games for the Wii just
aren't my thing so I don't see any need to invest in it. However, if I
did want to buy a Wii the fact I could play all the old games would be
a plus and be a big part of the deciding factor. Especially, if I
didn't own the original hardware as many people do not any more.

My point being, is that if there is a new technology that will
supposably whipe out the current game consoles then it would have to
provide the same number of games, be cost effective, and of course
have new ports of existing games to move everyone to it. If there is
some game person x happens to love and it isn't available on the new
platform then the person will be less likely to buy or invest unless
their is something else just as good. Games are like other forms of
art, and never fully wear out. A good game will be passed on from
generation to generation, and be received just as well by the next
generation.

Pacman, for instance, is now 30 years old. I played that game as a
kid, and have seen several different versions and takes on that game.
My son is going to be 7 very soon, and he loves the game. I wouldn't
doubt it if when he gets to be my age his children will still be
playing some Pacman varient in 25 years or so. A good game doesn't
wear out, and any new technology or platform must provide a certain
number of classic games like that to even grab a large majority of the
market. The problem is in order torecreate, port, and sell all of
those classic games will take considerable time and money that could
be spent on new technology which will keep the new market fresh for
those looking for something new and different to play.

Cheers!