I agree with Thomas, I would guess it is some combination of background
processes.  The graphics in the game are actually very minimal, and they should
run fine on even very old and outdated machines.  I suppose the easiest
solution though, is to just disable the graphics in the main menu.  lol, if it
speeds up the game, then it seems like a good thing to do.