hi, twitter is far more then a social networking and communications
network. if anything, i would say thats what a lot of people make it,
and send out pointless tweets. but, its a huge source of instant news,
and communications around the world. for example. i get breaking news
on twitter, sometimes hours ahead of anybody else.
and yes, a lot of companies are using it, for several perpuses. one is
as a quick info release format, where it can penitrate a huge area.
lets say i get an update about a game that i think looks good. i can
retweet it, {forward it for those that don't use twitter}, and then a
mate of mine who has me on his list says, wow, that looks good. so he
retweets it on, then 5 friends of his do the same.
you can see where a company can hit a much grater possible userbase this way.
also, companies are using twitter, to get there users feedback to
ideas, and get sigestions as to what the users want in a product. so a
games company might say, tell me what you think of us including a key
to check how much health you have.
these are just examples, but thats where the power is.
and as has been stated, you only need follow those accounts that
interest you. its a microblogging site, and some will use it to
communicate stupid things, and some, like me, for the most part, do
not, and just use it as an instant communication between companies,
users, and news sources, and so on.
hope this outline of how i use twitter helps.
best regards
dallas