Actually I think you're right about the 5%.  I started out with a 10% message
as well, but it had the same unintended behavior as the new tavern message that
was suggested.  People actually drop below 10% quite often, but only for a
moment and then they are quickly fed and sent back out to work.  I was getting
so many unnecessary messages that I kept lowering its requirement until 5%
seemed to be pretty good at only showing me people who were actually in any
danger.

Hopefully this, and the explanations of the trouble I'm having with the new
tavern message, aren't coming across as dismissing people's suggestions.  I'm
just letting everyone know what I've tried, and why it didn't seem to work as
planned.  This might give people some ideas on how to change their ideas around
so that they will work how they wish them to work.